Thursday, February 24, 2011

Ideas for LA Lesson Plan

What text will you be using?
Hooray for Diffendoofer Day! by Dr. Seuss, Jack Prelutsky & Lane Smith

What themes in the text do you want to emphasize?
I am still thinking about which themes I want to address, but my CT suggested using this book because it has a lot of potential for questions to ask before, during, and after reading the text to assess students' comprehension.

Which GLCEs are you thinking about?
R.CM.01.01 Make text-to-self and text-to-text connections and comparisons by activating prior knowledge and connecting personal knowledge and experience to ideas in text through oral and written responses.
R.CM.01.02 Retell in sequence up to three important ideas and details of familiar simple oral and written text.
R.MT.01.01 Self-monitor comprehension by recognizing when meaning is breaking down and use simple fix-up strategies including making credible predictions based on a preview of the book cover and pictures to increase comprehension when reading or listening to text.
R.MT.01.02 Self-monitor comprehension by using strategies including asking questions before, during, and after reading and discussing the most important ideas and themes in a text.
R.MT.01.03 Plan, monitor, regulate, and evalute skills, strategies and processes to construct and convey meaning and discuss which comprehension strategies worked and did not work.
R.MT.01.04 Self-monitor comprehension by using a graphic organizer to sequence events, sort and order information, or identify author's perspective.

(Obviously, I'm not using all of these GLCEs, but these are the GLCEs I am thinking about between the lesson itself and the post-assessment "activity" following the lesson.)

How will the lesson flow?  What is the sequence of events?
I plan on taking a picture walk of the book before reading it, and asking the students what they think the book will be about.  I will ask questions before, during, and after reading the book, which will assess comprehension at these three points.  In addition, my post-assessment "activity" will include either a graphic organizer, identifying the most important points of the story, or sequencing events in the correct order (each of the extra GLCEs I am considering using).

How will you involve discussion (whole group, pairs, small groups, etc.)?
The students in my classroom hardly ever utilize small group work because they cannot stay on task, and pair work is never utilized for the same reason.  Because of this, I will do whole group work on the reading carpet (reading the story), and at their tables (post-assessment).

Are you thinking about any other/additional types of assessment?
Other than the ideas addressed in the extra GLCEs I am considering using and my thought process of how the lesson will flow and the possible sequence of events, no, I don't know which type of assessment I am going to use yet.

Is there anything specific you would like advice about (from me, or your peers)?
I don't have any questions right now, but if I come up with any, I will either email Mike or my peers, or wait until the time we will receive to work on our rough draft in class on Monday morning to ask them.

2 comments:

  1. My lesson will be very different compared to Kaitlin’s, as I will be doing my lesson for third graders and her lesson is for first graders. But, here are my ideas thus far:

    -What text will you be using?
    I will be using the text Voices in the Park by Anthony Browne

    -What themes in the text do you want to emphasize?
    I plan on placing emphasis on the theme of perspective in Voices in the Park throughout my lesson.

    -Which GLCEs are you thinking about?
    I plan on using the following GLCEs:
    R.NT.03.04 explain how authors use literacy devices including prediction, personification, and point of view to develop a story level theme, depict the setting, and reveal how thoughts and actions convey important character traits.
    And either,
    S.DS.03.01 engage in interactive, extended discourse to socially construct meaning in book clubs, literature circles, partnerships, or other conversation protocols.
    or,
    S.DS.03.02 discuss narratives (e.g., folktales, fables, realistic fiction), conveying the story grammar (e.g., character’s thoughts and motivation, setting, plot, story level theme) and explain why the story is worthwhile and how it is relevant to the storyteller or the audience.

    -How will the lesson flow? What is the sequence of events?
    I plan to introduce my student’s to the topic of “perspective” and gain their knowledge about what perspective means and how perspective is used in literature. I will then read Voices in the Park to the students while sitting on the carpet. While reading I will ask questions that check the student’s comprehension, ask them for predictions and for their reasoning as to what is going on within the text. After reading the story I will ask the students more about perspective and what they noticed in the story. (I may have to read the story twice for my students to understand). After reading the story I will instigate a whole group discussion and have students discuss the book as a whole, the idea of perspective and any other topic that comes up. Following this discussion I will have the students complete a writing activity in groups of 5. I will read/display a paragraph that is written without any voice, or from no one’s perspective and assign each group a perspective, such as from the voice of their principal, their teacher, their class bunny, etc. I will then have the students work together in their small groups to rewrite the paragraph from their given perspective.

    -How will you involve discussion (whole group, pairs, small groups, etc.)?
    I will involve discussion in several ways. Before, during and after reading Voices in the Park I will instigate whole group discussion revolving around the theme of perspective. I may even have students discuss an aspect of the book in pairs, or with their “elbow buddy” as my CT calls it before, during and after reading. During the writing activity I will split students into four different groups to have them create the perspective writing piece, and this task will require the students to discuss their thoughts and ideas in small groups.

    -Are you thinking about any other/additional types of assessment?
    I plan to assess the students by their responses to my questions while reading the book, any comments they bring up and our discussion, and the writing activity that they complete following my reading of Voices in the Park.

    -Is there anything specific you would like advice about (from me, or your peers)?
    I would like to talk to you to make sure that my lesson covers the GLCEs that I have chosen. I also wonder how I will get my students to discuss as much as I expect them to. And, if anyone has any other great ideas of anything that I could include in a lesson built around Voices in the Park I welcome your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What text will you be using?
    The Legend of Sleeping Bear, by Kathy-jo Wargin

    What themes in the text do you want to emphasize?
    I want to emphasize the Michigan history themes. My CT told me that March is Michigan history month, so I am going to pull what I can that will be relevant to my first graders. I am also going to concentrate on legends. In the beginning of the book, there is a page explaining what a legend is, so this theme will be important when reading this book.

    What GLCE's are you thinking about?
    R.CM.01.01 make text-to-self and text-to-text connections and comparisons by activating prior knowledge and connecting personal knowledge and experience to ideas in text through oral and written response.
    R.NT.01.03 identify problem/solution, sequence of events, and sense of story (beginning, middle, and end)

    How will the lesson flow? What is the sequence of events?
    I will begin the lesson by introducing the book and asking if anyone has been to the Sleeping Bear Dunes. I will then introduce the legend theme, and ask if anyone knows what a legend is, or if they have heard of a legend. I will tell them that during the story, they should pay attention to anything that could be a legend. I will then read the book to them. After reading, I will ask the students to tell me what happened during the book, giving guiding questions, if needed. I will then ask my students where they saw a legend in the book, and have them explain that to me. After completing discussion, I will have my students return to their desks and have them do a writing assignment where they will write about their own legend, or the legend that they just learned about in the book.

    How will you involve discussion (whole group, pairs, small groups, etc.)?
    I am thinking that I am going to try to involve discussion by using the entire class. I am going to try to get my students to interact with each other after I ask my guiding questions, and have students' answers bounce off of each other. I do not think that groups will work in my classroom because my CT does not use groups or buddies, and I think that my students will not have beneficial talk if this strategy is used.

    Are you thinking about any other/additional types of assessment?
    I plan on using a writing activity after my discussion, just as a follow up to the discussion and the lesson as a whole. I think that if I used the legend as a theme to their writing, they will remember what a legend is, and can use it in their writing in the future.

    Is there anything specific you would like advice about (from me, or your peers)?
    The only thing that I see myself having trouble with is keeping the discussion going. Since I have a first grade classroom, I am not sure how well the students are going to bounce their ideas off of each other. My CT does not really use discussion as a form of teaching, so I think this lesson is going to be somewhat of a challenge for me.

    ReplyDelete